Cytiva and Pall Corporation Invest 1.5 Billion USD to Meet Demand for Biotechnology Solutions as Part of Ongoing Strategic Growth Plan
In order to meet customer demand for biotechnology solutions, Pall Corporation and Cytiva have made major investments in expanding manufacturing capacity for life sciences products at 13 sites. In addition, new sites are opening in US and UK to realize regional manufacturing models. Over the next 2 years, both companies plan to hire 2000 full-time associates. This move follow five strategic acquisitions made by the companies this year and is in line with Cytiva’s continuing capacity investments estimated at 500 million USD through 2022.
Cytiva and Pall Corporation, part of the Danaher (NYSE: DHR) Corporation, will expand manufacturing capacity and services worldwide for global life sciences customers as part of their ongoing strategic growth plans. The investment involves adding new sites, expanding existing ones, increasing manufacture of key products and is additional to previously announced investments. It follows five acquisitions made by the companies thus far this 2021.
- 600+ million USD in chromatography resins, establishing a new manufacturing site in the US.
- 400+ million USD in cell culture media, expanding operations in the US, UK, and Austria.
- 300+ million USD in single-use technologies, expanding operations in the US and the UK, as well as fitting out a new facility in Cardiff, Wales.
- 200+ million USD for continuing expansion work in Cytiva and Pall Corporation’s sites across China and the rest of the Asia-Pacific region, Europe, and the US.
In addition, it will also address some of the key challenges such as hiring and training talent, R&D collaboration, supply chain resilience, manufacturing models, as well as government policy and regulation highlighted in the Global Biopharma Resilience Index, conducted by Longitude, a Financial Times company, and published by Cytiva in March 2021.
Capacity expansion plans are being accelerated and are already underway at 13 Pall Corporation and Cytiva sites making biotechnology products for COVID-19 and other critical programs. These include:
- production of cell culture media at Cytiva’s site in Logan, Utah is planned to double in 2023, achieved by converting 25 000 m2 of land into new manufacturing lines, distribution hubs, and clean rooms as well as creating 250 new jobs in the area.
- a new manufacturing facility in Shrewsbury, MA and a new cleanroom in Westborough, MA in the US.
- a new cell and gene therapy manufacturing site and Center of Excellence is scheduled to open in Switzerland in 2022.
- expansion of Cytiva’s partnership with Wego in China to build more single-use technology manufacturing capacity for the region.
- a new 11 000 m2 facility in Cardiff, Wales, being fitted out to manufacture single-use bioprocessing equipment including jumper tubing assemblies, cell bags, and ÄKTA flow kits.
- investments at Pall sites in Newquay, UK, Pensacola, FL, and San Diego, CA to increase capacity to make and deliver membrane and filter products.
- expansion of single-use manufacturing operations in China at the site of recently acquired Austar.
Overall, the companies are planning to hire 2000 people over the next two years to support growth. This is additional to the 2000 new associates hired by Cytiva and Pall Corporation over the last year. In addition, training for manufacturing roles will involve intensive on-site courses and onboarding for highly technical roles will leverage Cytiva’s FastTrak centers and online training designed in partnership with the National Institute for Bioprocessing Research and Training (NIBRT) in Dublin, Ireland.
Recent acquisitions by Pall Corporation and Cytiva include:
- Vanrx Pharmasystems, Canada (Acquired by Cytiva in February 2021) Drug product aseptic filling solutions which automate the preparation of small batches of biologic medicines, well suited to the manufacture of cell and gene therapies.
- Austar, China (Acquired by Pall in March 2021) Additional single-use technology manufacturing capabilities in China to help meet need for regional vaccine manufacturing, driven by COVID-19.
- GoSilico, Germany (Acquired by Cytiva in June 2021) Mechanistic modelling software to create “digital twin” simulations of downstream bioprocessing steps for more efficient chromatography and drug manufacturing process development.
- Precision NanoSystems, Canada (Acquired by Pall in June 2021) Manufacturing and development of lipid nanoparticles for the delivery of genetic medicines, including mRNA vaccines and therapeutics.
- Intermountain Life Sciences (Acquired by Cytiva in June 2021) A new fully-operational manufacturing site in Logan, Utah will rapidly boost liquid cell culture media production by millions of liters.
Pall Corporation is a filtration, separation and purification leader providing solutions to meet the critical fluid management needs of customers across the broad spectrum of life sciences and industry. Part of the Danaher (NYSE: DHR) family of science and technology innovators, Pall works with customers to advance health, safety and environmentally responsible technologies. The Company’s engineered products enable process and product innovation and minimize emissions and waste. Pall Corporation serves customers worldwide. For more information visit www.pall.com.
Cytiva is a global life sciences leader with more than 8,000 associates across 40 countries dedicated to advancing and accelerating therapeutics. Part of the Danaher (NYSE: DHR) family of science and technology innovators, Cytiva is a trusted partner to customers that range in scale and scope, Cytiva brings speed, efficiency and capacity to research and manufacturing workflows, enabling the development, manufacture and delivery of transformative medicines to patients. For more information visit www.cytiva.com.